I got my adapters set up about a week ago and they've worked great for the most part. However, I've begun to run into an issue where if I'm performing activities with a lot of network traffic, the connection will reset (showing 'Network Cable Unplugged) in Windows and then reconnect a second later.
ONT (Fiber Gateway) <-> Cat6 Ethernet <-> GoCoax MA2500D <-> Coax through 3GHz Barrel <-> GoCoax MA2500D <-> Cat6 Ethernet <-> Intel I211 Gigabit Adapter/PC
Link speeds look great as far as I can tell, and I assume maxed out:
But it does appear to be generating dropped Rx packets when this happens:
I can recreate this failure mode by doing something network intensive (like running a speed test) and then changing between web pages. I've noticed some video games will also exacerbate this effect.
Any help/settings to tune would be appreciated!
EDIT: Think I may have found a fix... I disabled 'energy efficient ethernet' on my adapter in Windows and haven't seen the problem come back. Will continue to monitor...
Wow I like you!)
I did a check since I have a Realtek 8125 2.5G NIC (MSI B550 Unify-X) connected directly.
I've run a long iperf test to my NAS which is connected at 2.5G via a QNAP switch to the other MA2500D.
Couldn't reproduce the brief disconnections with EEE enabled.
But then I left a ping running toward my NAS server while running the iperf transfer and noticed the latency increasing from 3-4ms to 40ms.
Disabling EEE on the NIC brought back the latency to 3ms while running iperf.
It's definitely recommended to disable it in any case.
I'm experiencing what I think is the same issue.
MA2500C <-- 30ft RG6 --> MA2500C
The issue occurs when there's a switch that supports 802.3az/EEE in between. Have rotated in different brand switches (all of which support EEE - all behave the same). No frames dropped per the web interface in either adapter. The problem exists with different RG6 pulls. I wonder if perhaps most users don't even notice it since the interruption is brief. Fantastic performance outside of the 1-2 second drop every 30mins (though the drops seem to be based on traffic load).
To help diagnose this issue, would it be possible to release a firmware with the ability to disable 802.3az/EEE?
@goCoax I also have this issue. What are your plans for fixing or replacing the defective units?
Thats an interesting fix for a directly attached device but an unmanaged switch sadly doesn’t have that option.
Yeah definitely a strange issue... and appreciate the quick reply @goCoax!
Just a quick update... I'm almost a week in since I disabled 'Energy Efficient Ethernet' and I've had zero issues and the adapters have performed great!
Hopefully this helps others who may be running into issues and there could be a resolution to the Maxlinear PHYs!
Interesting. When Actiontec released their ECB7250, somebody discovered the Ethernet controller too have problems with Intel NICs. I am not sure this is the same problem. Hopefully MaxLinear and/or Intel can release a firmware update to address the issue.
I have the same issue, devices on the far end of the setup will report a brief loss of internet connectivity (Apple TV is always the first to notice!) and then a second or 2 later its back and working like nothing has happened.
Mine are also the MA2500D, no splitters etc, just a simple setup
Device - Switch - Moca - Coax - Moca - Router
Thanks for your detailed informaiton and the foundings. MA2500D used a quite new 2.5GbE PHY from Maxlinear. There are maybe some compliance issues with current GE interface. Hope the disabling can fix your issue. If you have any other foundings, please let us know.